Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

No place like home

Hobson Fiffledown
I imagine player housing is (rightfully) way down the line as far as developer resources go. I think an art fix for all of the empty player spots in towns would be nice. How about some Engineer-crafted house kits? T1 hovel, T2 cottage, T3 house? Limit one deed open per character. They don't even have to do anything except fill in some of the empty dirt rings around settlements (although banners or customizing options would be awesome…but then we've moved past it being a placeholder and art fix).

I bet it's even easier than water smile
This space for rent.
Decius
Small holdings can already be placed in some of those spots. Real buildings are slated for the remaining slots, once they exist.
Hobson Fiffledown
Smallholdings have little to no use in towns other than to save you a short walk to the vault or tavern. The real buildings seemed to be limited to the three main sections of settlements, with the outer dirt patches being reserved for smallholding (maybe camps too?) placement. If the settlements can be rebuilt using the entirety of the footprint, then that would fix a little bit of the cookie-cutter issue. If the dirt patches around the main sections remain player-structure areas, then I'd still like to see an art fix to keep them from being barren until other systems are in.
This space for rent.
Rynnik
Hobson Fiffledown
Smallholdings have little to no use in towns other than to save you a short walk to the vault or tavern.

Banking access at a settlement other then your hometown while below -2500 rep.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Hobson Fiffledown
Heh, true, Rynnik. I can think of a couple other good uses for smallholds in non-hometown settlements. Also, there are some small benefits to hometown smallholds pertaining to trade, low reputation, and the local constabulary. smile But it's nothing that outweighs the utility of a remote placement.

Edit - "little to no hometown use other than to…"

Since it seems we have a dev pipeline and an art pipeline, I just thought some art assets could placehold and liven up the joint in an area that will probably be way out on the timeline. Heck, use the mob tents as the T1 skin, the smallholds as the T2 skin, put a little work into the T3, and we'll rip it all down one day when they come up with better stuff.
This space for rent.
Kitsune
I've always been a huge proponent for player housing. "99%" of the time any of my ideas or anyone else's ideas get shot down with "we have smallholdings, that's good enough, consider your idea ignored." So uh… good luck.
Rynnik
Hobson Fiffledown
Since it seems we have a dev pipeline and an art pipeline, I just thought some art assets could placehold and liven up the joint in an area that will probably be way out on the timeline. Heck, use the mob tents as the T1 skin, the smallholds as the T2 skin, put a little work into the T3, and we'll rip it all down one day when they come up with better stuff.

I really like the intent for what it is worth, though after watching the Paizocon art presentation I don't get the sense it would be as easy as you desire it.

Even if you say they did nothing it would still be cool.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Hobson Fiffledown
I'm a big fan of player housing and I think it will show up here eventually. With a single zone game environment, settlement creation/destruction, and the heavy lean towards crafting, housing here could be all kinds of awesome.

I'll admit, I was kind of a trophy fiend in DAoC. It got a little out of control… Ooo, can you imagine PvP trophies? Sure, you'd have to keep it as items (no pinkies), but mounting Hobson's Dagger on your wall after 100 or so kills and some crafting would be kind of cool.
This space for rent.
Edam
It would be really good if you could enter a small holding, have a cup of tea, and be relatively safe from everything short of an Arbelest, Trebuchet or other siege engine.
Auriga
A lot of things are coming with the end of the war of Towers including starting to modify settlements, there is an extensive video from paizocon about the future of settlements that you may find interesting.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post